Flu Vaccination Form

Graham County Department of Public Health


The Graham County Department of Public Health Laboratory is open Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 p.m., with the exception of holidays.
The Laboratory strives to provide accurate and timely laboratory testing in support of our medical clinics and community health programs. Laboratory services are available to the public with a physician order.
The laboratory also provides drug screen collections for area employers for their Drug Free Work Place Programs. Call (828) 479-7900 for more information.

Glenda Bradley, LPN
21 South Main Street
Robbinsville, NC  28771
Phone:  828-479-7900 ext. 2621
Fax:  828-479-6956
Email:  glenda.bradley@grahamcounty.org

All laboratory services are strictly confidential.
Fees are assessed based on the services provided. Third Party Billing for Insurance, Medicare, and/or Medicaid is NOT available.
To find out about what testing services are offered, and specific charges, please call the lab Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at (828) 479-7900.

Clinical Testing
Laboratory services are open to the public. Most testing requires a written order from a physician. The order must contain the doctors name, address, fax #, phone #, UPIN (out of town MD's) and all appropriate diagnosis information.
The Graham County Department of Public Health also offers the following lab tests, which do not require an order from your physician.

$40 Wellness Panel – Includes the following tests:
CBC (Complete Blood Count)
CMP (Complete Metabolic Panel)
Lipids (Cholesterol and Triglycerides)
TSH (Thyroid)

Other tests that do not require an order from you physician include:


  • Hemoglobin
  • Pregnancy test (urine)
  • Urinalysis
  • Sickle cell
  • Lead Screen
  • RPR (Syphillis)
  • Hemocults
  • Hepatitis B
  • HIV
  • Hemoglobin A1c


  • Glucose
  • Lipid Profile
  • Wellness Panel


These services can be ordered by one of our Public Health Nurses. Our nursing staff has written standing orders signed by our Medical Director. The nurse will assess patients seeking to have any of this lab work then will determine if the lab work is justified.
Testing not performed within the local laboratory will be sent to a reference lab. Quest Diagnostic and the North Carolina State Lab are our primary reference labs. Other labs may be used as needed.

Drug Free Work Place Testing Services
The Graham County Department of Public Health Laboratory is staffed with three (3) certified Specimen Collectors for drug screens.

Urine Drug Screen Collection:
DOT and non-DOT urine collections are performed for area employers. Employers must set up an account with the lab.
All drug screen collections require positive identification of the employee/donor, preferably a picture ID. MRO (Medical Review Officer) services are also provided.
For information on setting up an account and cost of testing or for collection only call the lab at 828-479-7900.
For more information on DOT regulation please go to http://www.dot.gov/ost/dapc/

Frequently Asked Questions
Question: My physician wants me to have lab work. Can I come to the Health Department and have that lab work done?
Answer: YES. The laboratory will gladly accept written orders from your physician providing all necessary information is written on your prescription.

Question: What does fasting mean?
Answer: By definition, fasting means abstaining from all food and drinking only water. For laboratory test(s), a 12-hour fast becomes important when food and drinks may affect performing certain lab test(s).

Question: I need a chicken pox titer for this health class I have enrolled in at school. Can I have that done at the health department?
Answer: YES. The health department laboratory will provide a chicken pox titer and other titers needed for school health programs for a fee.

Question: Do I need an appointment to have lab work done?
Answer: NO. The laboratory is here to provide laboratory services Monday-Friday from 8:00-4:30 p.m., excluding holidays.

Question: My doctor has written an order for me to have some lab tests done, how much are they?
Answer: Because there are literally thousands of laboratory tests available to assist your physician in diagnosis and management of your health, the laboratory asks that you call them directly for specific cost information.

Question: I live out of state and need lab work once a month. Can I come there and have my lab work done?
Answer: YES. The laboratory provides services for physicians throughout the US. We ask that all pertinent information be affixed to each written order that your physician writes, including your physicians name, exact mailing address, telephone number, fax number, personal ID number(UPIN#).

Question: When my lab work is done, do you forward the results to my doctor?
Answer: YES. All lab work that has been ordered by your physician is sent either by mail or faxed to that office.

Question: Medicaid requires me to have proof of pregnancy, how do I get that?
Answer: Once Medicaid has informed you that you must have proof of pregnancy to file for Medicaid services, you will need to have a documented pregnancy test that can be done here at our laboratory.

Question: Is all the lab testing performed there at the Health Department?
Answer: NO. Although some of the laboratory testing is performed on site, the laboratory uses other reference laboratories to perform some testing. The primary reference laboratories that we use are Quest Diagnostics and the North Carolina State Laboratory located in Raleigh, NC.

Question: I’m getting married, does North Carolina require any blood work to issue a marriage license?
Answer: NO. Currently the state of North Carolina does not require any laboratory work prior to being married. However, some of the surrounding states do require blood work in order to issue a marriage license. You will need to contact the Register of Deeds in the county in which you are getting married to find out what is required.

Question: My employer requires me to have a urine drug screen, can I have it done at the Health Department?
Answer: YES. The laboratory can provide urine drug testing for those employers that set up an account.

Question: I need my cholesterol checked. Can I get it there without an order from my doctor?
Answer: YES.The laboratory follows guidelines set forth by our Medical Director and if you fall under those guidelines you could qualify for cholesterol testing that would not require your health care provider to write an order.

Question: I take insulin for my diabetes, how and where do I dispose of my needles?
Answer: You must place your needles in a puncture proof container then you may place the puncture proof container in your household garbage.