- Environmental Health
- Flu Facts
Graham County Department of Public Health
The Robbinsville School Based Health Center opened in 1997 to provide health services to students in grades 7-12 and is funded through the Graham County Dept. of Public Health with private contributions, grants, and billing revenue. Also, the Center is open to the staff of Graham County Schools for acute medical illnesses. Services are provided only to students with written parental consent and a completed registration form. Parent-child communication will be encouraged at each visit. Parents are invited to contact the staff during center hours. The Health Center charges for services and insurance is billed including Health Choice and Medicaid. A sliding fee scale, set by the Graham County Board of Health, and based on family income is used for students without insurance.
No child will be denied services based on insurance coverage, inability to pay, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, national origin, or handicapped status.
NO family planning, prenatal, or contraceptive services will be provided at the School Based Health Center.
The Center is located in the Middle School office suite and is open from 8am to 5pm and closed for lunch between 12-1pm. The center is open year round.
*Acute care: Treatment of illness or injury, colds, flu, throat, skin and ear infections, sprains, muscle pulls and other concerns.
*Treatment for chronic conditions: Under the direction of and collaboration with the student’s primary care provider for persistent health problems.
*Comprehensive Physicals: Complete history and physical, lab tests, screenings for vision, hearing, dental, nutritional status, blood pressure, growth and development, and other health risk factors.
*Laboratory testing: Tests to diagnose common illnesses: strep throat, urinary tract infections, and anemia.
*Medication: Over the counter medications may be dispensed and prescriptions written with parental consent.
NO NARCOTICS WILL BE PRESCRIBED
*Mental Health and Nutritional Counseling Services: Provided upon request and by appointment only.
*Immunizations: Student records will be reviewed and parents will be notified of any required vaccines.
To enroll your child for the Health Center complete the following information:
- Please fill out the front and back of the Registration Form completely and thoroughly. Complete the insurance information or send a copy of the insurance card.
- Do not leave any blanks on the registration form.
- All of the information we are asking for is important. This includes family history, immunizations, whether they have had the chicken pox disease or the shot.
- Return the registration form you completed. The other papers are for you to keep.
- RETURN THE REGISTRATION FORMS TO YOUR STUDENT’S TEACHER OR TO SBHC OFFICE.
- The Health Center cannot be considered as your Primary Care Provider, 24 hour access to medical care is the responsibility of your primary care provider.
A 24 hour Mental Health Hotline is available for students when the Health Center is closed. 1-800-849-6127
Enrollment is open all year for registration.
- You may call us to discuss any of this information at 479-9395 between 8:30 and 3pm Monday thru Friday. We will be open during the summer by appointment only for sports physicals and complete physicals.
- We will also be at the 7th and 9th grade orientation in August to answer questions and take enrollment.
Marlene Carver, FNP-C
301B Sweetwater Road
Robbinsville, NC 28771
Sandy Graves, Office Manager Certified Nursing Assistant
Our goal at the Health Center is to:
* Provide in-school sick care
* Reduce visits to the emergency room
* Eliminate or minimize health problems which impede learning
* Reduce absenteeism
* Maximize the quantity and quality of class time
* Help student to achieve his or her goals
“Students who are hungry, sick, troubled or depressed, cannot function well in the classroom, no matter how good the school.”
-Carnegie Council on Adolescent Development